This recipe is key to lots of dishes and also as a dip for potatoes or chips; also for the typical Mac&Cheese. The truth is that it is so tasty, overtime I do it it magically disappears. The recipe is very easy and if you have guests they will love it, and it really tastes like real cheese!
The main ingredient is potato, it gives the cheese the smooth and cheesy texture. Carrot and nutritional yeast are other important ingredients of the recipe, the carrot gives the cheese this golden color so we can call it “vegan cheddar” but be careful with carrot, with an small or medium carrot it might be enough, we don´t want an orange mixture.
We can use another vegetable if we don´t have potato or carrot, like cauliflower or pumpkin. Personally I prefer the taste of the potato and the carrot, but you can get substitutes.
This cheese is perfect to serve when it is still hot, we use the vegetables as they are cooked so all the ingredients get mixed while everything is hot. If your cheese gets cold, you can add a little bit of soy milk and heat it while you stir it and get the melted cheese texture back.
- 3 small potato (350 gr)
- 1 small carrot (135 gr)
- ⅓ cup olive oil (70 gr)
- ½ cup water (125 ml)
- 1 spoonful lemon juice
- ½ cup nutritional yeast (35 gr)
- ½ teaspoonful garlic powder
- ½ teaspoonful onion powder
- 1 teaspoonful salt
- In a cooking pot, place the potatoes and the carrot diced for 20 minutes until they are cooked.
- Drain the vegetables and add the rest of the ingredients, mix them with a blender so you get a smooth sauce similar to melted cheese.